IDC’s top 10 predictions for telecommunications provide CIOs with the most important issues they should be considering as they chart their networking road map over the next several years. These predictions touch key areas such as edge computing, 5G, virtual networking, and other services critical to implementing a digital infrastructure.
The communications network is an indispensable foundation of the enterprise DX road map. To implement competitive services that facilitate dynamic, reliable engagement with customers and partners, enterprises require a reliable, robust, and flexible networking infrastructure. Enterprises should be leveraging best-of-breed emerging technologies including SD-WAN and virtual networking services.
Top 10 Telecommunications 2019 Predictions
The following are the worldwide telecommunications 2019 predictions:
- Prediction 1: By 2020, 80% of enterprises will have implemented SD-WAN at some sites underpinned by secure and virtualized edge architectures.
- Prediction 2: By 2020, over 50% of enterprises will host most of their edge IT and network services vCPE x86 platforms managed in the cloud and underpinned by secure, virtualized edge architectures.
- Prediction 3: By 2021, 60% of enterprises will have begun the journey to AI automation.
- Prediction 4: By 2020, 70% of enterprises will adopt managed security services to use analytics, machine learning/AI, automation, and orchestration to better predict and respond to security threats and attacks.
- Prediction 5: By 2022, more than 80% of enterprise UC&C implementations will include cloud-based UCaaS.
- Prediction 6: By 2023, 70% of enterprises will leverage a combination of seat-based subscription and cloud-based consumption models for advanced managed services.
- Prediction 7: 5G will be a key enabler of enterprise DX’s next chapter, with more than 70% of all 5G connections (mobile subscriptions and IoT cellular connections) stemming from business use cases by 2024.
- Prediction 8: In 2019, as enterprises face the challenges of implementing DX, 30% of enterprises will turn to network traffic analysis to drive automation and identify anomalies in real time.
- Prediction 9: By 2021, less than 20% of enterprises will leverage 5G and VNF applications because of service provider delays in upgrading communications SP operations and monetization systems.
- Prediction 10: By 2023, over 70% of enterprises will leverage CPaaS platforms to enhance and simplify a broad range of communications applications with customized and personalized solutions including video.
Learn more about the 2019 Telecommunications Predictions
For context around these predictions, including the IT impact and guidance on how to integrate each prediction in the digital strategy of the enterprise, view the IDC FutureScape: Worldwide Telecommunications 2019 Predictions web conference on-demand.